Lately, instead of browsing the JCrew website for cute work clothes or weekend outfits, I’ve been obsessed with sportswear. This would make sense since I’ve been spending a whole lot of time training. After October’s triathlon, I’ve signed up to run the Dallas Half Marathon in December. I’m craving these items as I transition towards a more running focused training plan. (PS. Guess my favorite color?!)
Those Nike capris are amazing. They NEVER lose their stretch and are made out of recycled water bottles! Thumbs up for green clothing. I obviously need another pair. Having the proper attire always makes for a more enjoyable workout.
A few tips I’ve learned along the way:
- Get fitted for the right shoes. Don’t just go to the store and pick the cutest ones on the shelf. I tried on over 15 pairs when I went to get fitted to find the right ones. I’m actually due for new ones soon. Depending on your training/running style, sneakers should last about 6 months or 400-600 miles.
- Find the perfect sports bra. Does this need any more explanation?
- Pockets, pockets, pockets. You don’t want your hands full during a run.
- Pick materials that agree with sweat. The last thing you want is a shirt that is soaking up sweat, leaving you raw and uncomfortable by the end of your run.
- Layers. Embrace the tying-of-your-sweatshirt-around-your-hips technique so loved by “soccer moms”.